One of the most popular products in the anti-aging space are face serums. Depending on which one, serums provide an extra boost of hydration, moisture, nourishment or protection. And some serums, like a vitamin C serum, are designed to do all of the above. When it comes to natural based serums that can truly help slow down the signs of age in your skin, nothing quite compares to a good vitamin C serum. So what are the best vitamin c serums? Read on to find out.
Vitamin C serums are typically used on the face and décolletage and are sought after for their highly concentrated addition of vitamin C. Although commonly used by women with mature skin, a vitamin C serum can be introduced into your skincare routine at any age to experience its effects on the health, look, and feel of your skin. If you’re especially interested in natural-based skincare products, a vitamin C serum is perfect, delivering all of the anti-aging benefits you desire with natural ingredients.
5 Vitamin C Serum Benefits
The star ingredient in any vitamin C serum is a high dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for good skin health working to promote new collagen growth, visibly reduce the signs of age in the skin, and protect the skin from environmental damage and premature aging. And because your skin does not naturally produce vitamin C, a vitamin C serum is the perfect way to get all of these powerful vitamin benefits.
• Vitamin C serum helps protect skin from sun damage. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and in a vitamin C serum, those powers work to protect the skin from the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun. A vitamin C serum can also help to strengthen your skin, enabling its defense against environmental stressors and agitators. For the best protection, be sure to combine a vitamin C serum with a sunscreen as it is not intended to replace your traditional sunscreen options.
• Vitamin C serum helps to heal skin. A good vitamin C serum can help to accelerate the skin’s ability to heal itself. This is especially great for helping to common skin conditions like acne scarring and sunburn. A vitamin C serum can provide a bit of relief from burning and itching and can even help to reduce the appearance of redness in the skin.
• Vitamin C serum helps stimulate collagen production. One of the reasons that vitamin C serums are a common anti-aging skincare favorite is because they have the ability to promote collagen production. Collagen is an essential protein in your skin that decreases with age causing the skin to lose its firmness and elasticity. With a vitamin C serum, increased collagen production can help to reduce the appearance fine lines and wrinkles leaving you with naturally youthful appearing skin.
• Vitamin C serum helps reduce skin discoloration. You’ll typically find that many natural based dark spot healing creams are infused with vitamin C. That’s because vitamin C is great for helping fade skin discoloration. With the high concentration that is infused in a vitamin C serum, it is able to target stubborn skin discolorations like redness, hyperpigmentation, and under-eye circles.
• Vitamin C serum helps to brighten the complexion. Right alongside with reducing skin discolorations, vitamin C serums help to even and brighten the complexion. The high dose of this known brightener helps to make the skin look more radiant and healthy. A good vitamin C serum will not only brighten the complexion but give your skin an overall more rejuvenated glow.
Different Types of Vitamin C
– L ascorbic acid – A pure form of vitamin C. The only vitamin C we recommend for application on the face. It is the most potent form of vitamin C. Recommended in concentrations of 15-20%
– Ascorbyl Palmitate (also know as vitamin C ester) – Considered less irritating than L ascorbic acid, however, studies suggest there is also less antioxidant activity. It is much less potent than L ascorbic acid.
– Sodium ascorbyl phosphate – A newer derivative of Vitamin C. Very stable and less irritating. More studies are needed.
How to Choose a Vitamin C Serum
With vitamin C serums being extremely popular, there are naturally a number of options available across skincare brands to choose from. It can be difficult knowing where to start and what to look for in a vitamin C serum to ensure you’re getting something that will be effective and safe. Not to mention, most good vitamin C serums come with a pretty price tag as well so you want to be sure you know what you’re looking for.
The telltale sign to know if a vitamin C serum is going to be effective is ensuring that it contains pure L-ascorbic acid, at least 15 to 20 percent. The higher the concentration, the more vitamin C that is contained within the vitamin C serum so the more benefits you can expect to receive. You want to be sure that the vitamin C serum contains L-ascorbic acid as this is the more pure vitamin C available and the only one that is recommended for use on the face. However, higher concentrations of vitamin C may irritate sensitive skin.
Naturally, vitamin C serums will have other ingredients inside their formulations to complement the vitamin C and this will vary from brand to brand. Opt for a vitamin C serum that also contains a nice amount of vitamin E which is another antioxidant that is extremely beneficial for mature skin.
How to Use a Vitamin C Serum
For all the benefits that vitamin C serums can provide to the skin, they are actually pretty simple to incorporate into your daily skincare routine. Always follow the standard directions of the actual vitamin C serum you choose, however, most of them will work similarly.
A little of a vitamin C serum goes a long way and most of them are packaged in a classic dropper bottle. Apply a few drops of vitamin C serum to skin that has been cleansed and toned. You’ll want to make sure that the vitamin C serum has had a chance to dry completely before moving onto other steps in your skincare routine or your makeup application. You can apply a vitamin C serum once or twice a day depending on your personal preference and how your skin responds.
Look for products in airless bottles. Vitamin C is an excellent preservative, but other ingredients will not last long when exploded to air.
Best Vitamin C Serum for Face
Amongst the throes of vitamin C serums currently available, the majority of them that follow the standard guidelines work similarly well. There are a few that stand out that we’ll discuss and compare.
Of all the vitamin C serums available the SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic is the most highly regarded. The SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum contains antioxidant vitamins C and E along with the addition of ferulic acid giving it another dose of protection against environmental damage. With this formulation, the SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum is known and celebrated for protecting the skin. And with its vitamin C concentration, the SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum provides the normal benefits like reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and working to approve the appearance of the skin overall.
While the SkinCeuticals vitamin C serum is most established, the Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum is most celebrated. This vitamin C serum is tailored to improve the complexion by working to brighten the skin and balancing the skin tone. The Drunk Elephant vitamin C serum is packed not only with skin brightening vitamin C but also with ferulic acid which helps to repair sun damaged skin. You’ll also find this vitamin C serum infused with a number of other skin beneficial ingredients like hydrating plant extracts, extra antioxidants for protection, and even peptides to really help rejuvenate and revitalize the skin. The most notable attribute of this vitamin C serum has to be its promise that it will continue to work up to three days after your initial application.
The most dependable vitamin C serum to be considered is the Obagi Professional-C Serum 20%. This is your standard vitamin C serum that contains the L-ascorbic acid at the desired percentage. While there is nothing really spectacular about this vitamin C serum, it is the standard of how a truly effective vitamin C serum should work for anti-aging skincare. The Obagi vitamin C serum offers supreme antioxidant protection and gets deep into skin to stimulate collagen and elastin productions. It’s also packed with a healthy dose of hyaluronic acid which allows this vitamin C serum to add hydration and moisture which is essential for mature skin.
Popular vitamin C products include SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic , Ole Henriksen Truth Derum, Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum, Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum, Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum, Measurable Difference Vitamin C Serum, Noche Y Dia Vitamin C, Oliology Vitamin C Serum, Oz Naturals Vitamin C Serum, The Ordinary Vitamin C Serum, Derma-E Vitamin C, Timeless Vitamin C Serum, Sunday Riley CEO, Obagi Professional C, Cellex C High Potency Serum, Jan Marini C Esta, TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C, True Botanicals Vitamin C Booster, The Body Shop Vitamin C Serum, 100% Pure Vitamin C Serum and SkinMedica Vitamin C+E Complex.
The Best Vitamin C Serum
We recommend using the Vitamin C, E, B & Ferulic Serum by Advanced Dermatology. Excellent.
Check it out…