Some skin care products get their 15 minutes of fame before getting pushed to the back of your drawer, but the vitamin C serum is here to stay. That may be because of the fact that, most of the time, a vitamin C serum does pretty much exactly what is promised on the box. How many other products can boast of that? But before you run to your nearest store to buy a Vitamin C serum, you need to know what it’s all about. What is the best vitamin C Serum? More on this later.
Take a look at the best face serums for 2017.
How is the vitamin C serum different?
Vitamin C is a very popular ingredient in skin care products because it is a free-radical fighter and helps produce collagen naturally. This is because the serum from vitamin C has a higher concentration of L-ascorbic acid. When starting out with a vitamin C cream, it’s a good idea to gradually increase usage by starting off with the cream that has a lower L-ascorbic acid concentration. You can start with a vitamin c serum that has a 10% concentration, and as your skin gets used to it, you can increase to a serum that has a concentration in the 15-20% range.
What does the serum do?
- Acts as an antioxidant – The process of oxidation damages the skin cells. Vitamin C serums are rich in anti-oxidants that repair and renew the cells and give the skin a healthier look.
- Helps produce collagen – Collagen binds the cells of our body. Vitamin C serum stimulates the synthesis of collagen in the skin which will give you a tighter, firmer and less sagged feel. It is a good first-step solution to treat the onset of wrinkles.
- Restores and regenerates – Vitamin C attacks the free radicals in your body and does some hardcore damage management. If you have any acne scars left from your previous breakout, you’ll find them fading with regular application.
- Protects you from the sun – Getting overexposed to the sun can cause hyperpigmentation and sun spotting. A vitamin C serum will counteract any harmful effect of the sun and also decrease the chances of skin cancer by thickening the dermis layer. But it is important to note that a vitamin c serum cannot replace your sunscreen. A sunscreen provides the much needed SPF protection by shielding the outer layer of the skin while the vitamin c serum acts as a sun barrier from within the skin. You should apply the sunscreen as well as the vitamin C serum before going outside for prolonged periods of time.
How to apply it.
After you’ve chosen a vitamin C serum, it is important that you use it right. Correct method of application will definitely increase the effectiveness of the cream.
- Dampen your face with water and start by applying the serum to your face and neck.
- Let it dry for some time and then apply a moisturizer, if possible use one with a sunscreen in it. It is important that you use the serum before moisturizing and not after. This is because the serum is easily absorbed into the skin, while moisturizers work on the surface. If you use the moisturizer first, your skin will not be able to absorb the vitamin c serum.
- Vitamin C serums are oil free preparations that are perfect for balancing oily skin by exfoliating naturally. Because of its exfoliating properties, it is a good idea to follow up a vitamin c serum application with a moisturizer, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Lastly, after purchasing the serum, it’s a good idea to keep it refrigerated. This will keep the serum from oxidizing too quickly, and will give you a better result for the price.
– Our top recommendation is the Advanced Dermatology skin care regimen. Excellent.