As you age, you will find wrinkles appearing in different areas of your face like the forehead, below the eyes, between eyebrows and wrinkles around the mouth. While everyone eventually gets these, women are more prone to developing wrinkles around the mouth because their structure of skin in that area is different from men. Like most of the other wrinkles, wrinkles around the mouth, also called perioral wrinkles, are caused by age, genetics, sun exposure and smoking.
Perhaps the idea Botox or cosmetic fillers have crossed your mind, but you may be concerned about the side effects. Or, you might be looking for a treatment that offers long-term results. Before you use anything, take a look Advanced Dermatology. This is an excellent topical skin care line that will help lift and smooth wrinkles around the mouth.
Wrinkles around the mouth are of three types of skin lines –
- Smile Lines (nasolabial lines) – These are those lines that run from thebottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth. These can be seen more prominently in women, especially as they age.
- Marionette lines – If you feel that your face looks sadder or angrier than it used to, it’s likely because of something called marionette lines. These are the vertical wrinkles that can be found at the corners of your mouth. These lines can give the face a downturned expression and make you look serious, or worse, angry, even when you are relaxed.
- Vertical lip lines – Wrinkles around lips are mostly caused by the regular lip movements and hence are unavoidable. They are also called smokers lines, because regular smoking, both due to the harmful effects of smoking and also pressing the lips together when you smoke is a big factor in the appearance of these lines. Waxing and threading your upper lip can also be a contributing factor for these lines, although not as serious as smoking.
In order to prevent wrinkles around the mouth, you need to learn to completely relax your face. Yes, happiness is the most common universal facial expression. But, it is also the primary cause of lines around the mouth and also on the forehead. Start by looking in the mirror and making regular facial expressions like laughing, crying and squinting your eyes. We find that people with wrinkles around the mouth are over expressive. Now, do the opposite: completely relax your face. You will notice that lines look more pronounced when you are making facial expressions and smoother when your face is relaxed. Therefore, you need to start training yourself to control your facial expression.
Further, lines around the mouth are also caused by smoking. Quit smoking, try wrinkle fighting skin treatments. All the other methods that prevent wrinkles, in general, can be used for the perioral wrinkles. You can make the biggest dent by using sunscreen, moisturizers and skin serums that help stimulate collagen production.
Treatment – Once you get wrinkles around your mouth, there is no way to eliminate them except to treat them before they get worse. Some of the methods to get rid of the perioral lines are –
- Topical Products: A new generation of skin care products designed to boost collagen and elastin levels in the skin can help improve the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth without the risk associated with surgical procedures. Take a look at our recommendations. Take a look at the best face serums for 2017.
- Retinol – Creams like retinol or retinoid thicken the deeper layers of the skin and thin out the superficial layers. This relaxes the marionette lines and makes them look smoother. Also, over the counter lotions with alpha-hydroxy acid can help soften the wrinkles. For long term results, take a look at skin care products that contain ingredients that are designed to naturally boost collagen. Look for ingredients like peptides, stem cells, and growth factors.
- Facial exercises – Facial skin with sufficient muscle tone and collagen can deter wrinkling around the mouth. The lost facial collagen can be made up with muscles, and facial exercises help in rebuilding these muscles. There are different types of exercises that you can find at various sources, including asking your doctor. Yes, facial exercises are an effective way to prevent future wrinkles.
- Dermabrasion and chemical peeling – In both of the methods, the upper layer of the skin is removed for a new layer to grow. They work well with the perioral wrinkles. Lighter peels will not yield the results you are looking for. To see any improvement, you need to look at clinical grade peels. But, don’t expect to see long term results as these procedures are only targeting the upper layers of the dermis.
- Face-lift – This is the ultimate answer to all kinds of wrinkles around the mouth and it can make you look years younger. If you feel like nothing else is working, you can resort to this step. But, this is a risky procedure. A facelift will always leave scars. And, a facelift will never look entirely natural. Instead, take a look at nonsurgical facelifts that utilize laser technology.
- Lasers – Lasers can safely and effectively reduce lines and wrinkles around the mouth. We recommend taking a look at laser devices that are specifically designed to boost collagen naturally, such as Refirm, Thermage, Titan and Ultherapy. These types of lasers are safer than conventional lasers. Plus, usually, there is little or no downtime. However, avoid ablative procedures such as CO2. These types of procedures give lasers a bad name because there is always downtime. These types of lasers work by vaporizing the upper layers of the skin. Whilst this leaves a smoother appearance, it causes the skin to become paper thin. Please avoid these types of laser procedures.
- Botox – Botox is a good and less expensive option for paralyzing the muscles around your mouth. This is effective for fine lines around the mouth. Because Botox is paralyzing the muscles, this is not always a suitable treatment option. Results only last 3-4 months. Also, Botox is a great method to prevent wrinkles around the mouth as it prevents over expression. We recommend using a very small number of units of Botox in the area to prevent lines. A growing number of plastic surgeons who perform surgical facelift procedures will require patients to undergo cosmetic injections like Botox for several months before performing a facelift as a method to train the face to reduce expression in certain areas. This is because often expression lines will appear again even after a surgical facelift as the patient continues to make the same expressions that cause the wrinkles in the first place.
- Fillers – Cosmetic fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are very effective at smoothing our wrinkles around the mouth. Results are immediate but only last for several months. Juvederm Voluma is a suitable option if you’re looking for a longer result. This lasts for up to two years. But, this filler has a thicker needle that is not for the faint hearted. Cosmetic fillers are generally safe and considered non invasive. A common side effect is bruising but this tends to subside within a few days. Fillers can be administered by any cosmetic physician. Avoid permanent silicon fillers because of the high percentage of people who suffer from permanent side effects including lumps and bumps.
- Diet – A diet high in sticky vegetables will help promote hyaluronic acid levels in the skin. Hyaluronic acid keeps the skin firm and plump naturally. Sticky vegetables including taro root, okra, potatoes and sweet potatoes are known to stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid naturally. However, these types of foods are very starchy and can also cause you put on weight around your waist.
- Vampire Facial – This is the fastest growing cosmetic procedure in 2014-2015. Sadly, the science behind this procedure is poor. In fact, it only became popular after a certain reality television star boasted about the results she experienced. Yes, you will see an immediate effect but this is just temporary inflammation of the skin and once the inflammation has subsided you will lose the effects.
Apart from these methods, there are different forms of non invasive that can also be used. Please consult with your physician about the best treatment for you. Wrinkles around the mouth are probably the biggest reason you look older than you are and the problem is that, they are very easily produced. Every time you make an expression, you are helping create more folds and grooves around your mouth.
– Our top recommendation for wrinkles around the mouth is the Advanced Dermatology skin care regimen. Excellent.